Meadow Lane is the home of Notts County FC, which boasts some of the best facilities outside the top flight as well as a magnificent 20,000 all seater stadium.
The Magpies have played at Meadow Lane since 1910, with the first match played against Nottingham Forest on 3rd September 1910 with the game ending 1-1 infront of 28,000 with Billy Matthews scoring Notts' goal that day.
Notts had previously played at The Park from 1862 to 1864, then The Meadows from 1864 to 1877 after that it was 1877 to 1880 at Beeston Cricket Ground. From 1880 to 1883 Notts played at Castle Ground and finally from 1883 to 1910 Notts played at Trent Bridge before moving to Meadow Lane.
During World War One, the army took over Meadow Lane while during the Second World War the Main Stand was bombed. An enemy raid on the night of 8/9 May 1941 saw bombs destroy the Northern Wing and because of the damage Notts had to withdraw from league action for the whole 1941-1942 season.
In 1992 Meadow Lane was rebuilt to what it is today, with the Cattle Market End (Family Stand), Kop Stand (Jimmy Sirrell Stand) and Family Stand (Meadow Lane End) all being demolished and rebuild as three impressive all seater stands. The impressive Kop Stand was initially shared between both home and away fans, by the end of the 92-93 season it was made "away fans only", with the stand holding around 5,400 fans.
The new look Meadow Lane hoasted it's first march on August 22nd 1992, as Notts drew 1-1 with Leicester City.
At the end of the following season 1993-1994, after just missing out on the playoffs, The Main Stand was demolished and an impressive new stand was built to make Meadow Lane an "All Seater Stadium", bringing the capacity to just under 20,000. The stand was named after Chairman Derek Pavis, but during the 2002-2003 season was once again named The Main Stand, a year after Pavis had sold the club to Albert Scardino.
The Main Stand houses the club's main offices, changing rooms, a gym and a Conference & Banqueting Centre, which is a major source of revenue to the club.
In June 2002, Notts announced a sponsorship deal with local company Aaron Scargill Estate Agents, which as well as shirt sponsorship saw Meadow Lane renamed as "The Aaron Scargill Stadium". However, Aaron Scargill went out of buisness before the season started and the ground was given back it's original name much to the joy of Notts County supporters.
Meadow Lane Facts:
Record Attendance - 47,310 Vs York City 12th March 1955 (FA Cup 6th Round)
Record Gate Receipts - £124,539.10 Vs Manchester City 16th February (FA Cup 6th Round)
Pitch Measurements - 113 Yards x 72 Yards
Record League Victory At Meadow Lane - 11-1 Vs Newport County Division 3 South 15th January 1949
Directions To Meadow Lane:
Click Here, for directions of how to get to Meadow Lane