Swindon Town 1 - 0 Notts County -Full Time

Last updated : 23 January 2002 By Paul Berry
Leam Richardson comes in at left-back for the Magpies tonight. Richard Liburd makes a welcome return to the first-team squad starting on the substitute's bench.

Notts put the pressure on in the early stages. Stallard had a 20 yard shot saved after 8 minutes and Ian Richardson headed over from a corner.

Darren Caskey missed a clear chance after 15 minutes after great work by Cas. The ball was played across the area but with the goalkeeper scrambling Caskey hit the side netting from 6 yards.

Michael Brough was booked after 25 minutes for a nasty foul on Sol Davies. Davies was booked later on.

Gradually Swindon came back in to the game and Alan Reeves went close from a corner on the half-hour, his shot going just wide.

Richardson missed with another header four minutes before half-time and Brough followed up with a shot over the bar a few minutes later.

Swindon were the more adventurous team going in to half-time as a deflected shot from Grazioli went out for a corner. Foley had a great chance with a 20 yard free-kick in injury time but the ball drifted over the bar.

Half-time 0-0

Swindon came out attacking in the second half as Foley missed the target with a header after Ian Richardson was skinned by Swindon's right-winger.
Ian Richardson
Richo Skinned

Foley went close again a few minutes later following a Swindon free-kick.

Swindon continued to pile on the pressure as Notts looked nervous at the back with Richardson frequently beaten for pace.

Eventually Richardson was booked for a professional foul after being beaten once too often.

Duke missed for Swindon after making room for himself in the penalty area after sustained pressure from the Robins.

Brough then cleared off the line from a Foley header following a swindon corner.

Allsopp then capitalised on a quick chance getting the ball to a breaking Liam Chilvers who forced a good save from Griemink.

The resulting corner resulted in a Swindon goal, Danny Invincible beating several Notts players before banging in a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty area.

72 minutes Swindon 1, Notts County 0.

Foley was subsequently booked for a foul as he broke up a County attack.

There was more bad news for Notts as scores came in from other grounds with the Pies looking likely to slip further in to trouble.

In the 77th minute Bolland had forced another great save from Griemink with a snapshot. Ian Richardson headed the ball over the top from the subsequent corner.

Invincible continued to create opportunities as the dire Notts full-backs struggled to keep him under wraps.

A few minutes Brough was replaced by Hackworth and Cas by Liburd as County went all out for a goal.

With 6 minutes to go a Caskey free-kick led to a throw-in but the chance was cleared by Swindon. Stallard hit a subsequent shot straight at Griemink.

Liburd created a chance with a great run but the young midfielder hit his shot way over the bar.

Notts were given a free-kick in a dangerous position following a Swindon foul but again the ball went over the bar after a deflection. Stallard fell over the ball as it arrived from the corner and Swindon cleared.

The 4th official signalled 3 minutes injury time as Notts pushed for an equaliser. But Swindon showed more ambition as they pushed forward threateningly.

Final Score: Swindon Town 1, Notts County 0