Notts Bould over

A second half Micky Boulding double condemned Notts to their fourth straight defeat, and first under new boss Charlie McParland.

The deadlock was broken as Boulding slot home his 57th penalty after being blatantly pulled back by Notts' Austin McCann.

A second was added five minutes later with Stephen Hunt at fault letting in Simon Brown.

He slid in Boulding for his second of the game, as the Stags put a dampener on McParland's first game in charge of a clearly struggling County side.

It definitely seemed the start of a new era at 2 o clock this afternoon.

New boss Charlie McParland answered fans prayers switching back to a preferred 4-4-2 formation for derby day at Field Mill.

The back four remained unchanged from that which conceded three at Meadow Lane last week.

While, Matt Somner was the unlucky one missing out at the expense of Paul Mayo, who lined up on the left hand side of the County midfield.

Neil MacKenzie shrugged off his knock to return to former club Mansfield alongside Richard Butcher with Andy Parkinson back in on the right.

With the injury to new signing Danny Crow against Bury last weekend, Spencer Weir-Daley partnered Lawrie Dudfield up top.

Parkinson seen here battling but his finishing lacked

The Magpies began the game with an unusual team huddle, showing already the spirit instilled in the side by new man McParland.

Notts were on top in a fiery opening.

Lawrie Dudfield bursting down the left flank inside the opening five minutes. He skipped past Stags full back John Mullins before his deep cross picked out Parkinson at the back post.

A hesitant Parky could only fire his effort into the oncoming defender.

The Magpies continued to dominate with Weir-Daley shooting well on the turn after seven minutes. His effort ricochet off Jake Buxton and rolled through to the keeper for a comfortable save.

But, it was Mansfield who arguably created the best opening in the twelfth minute.

A flick on from Michael Boulding fell to Stephen Dawson, who laid the ball through to Brown.

His snap shot just inside the box produced a fine save from Magpies keeper Kevin Pilkington high to his right.

Brown again at the centre of things, causing all kinds of problems for the Notts back four.

He wrestled his way in behind Adam Tann down the left side of the Magpies box, but partner Stephen Hunt covered well to block his low shot from eight yards.

After a ferocious start, the derby atmosphere soon died down at Field Mill with the game falling into another scrappy League Two midfield battle.

Notts fans were soon up in delight, but Parkinson had only hit the side netting just after the half hour mark.

McCann whipped into the box from the left for Dudfield to flick on - Weir-Daley's effort was blocked before Parky so nearly fired Notts in front.

County then called upon Gary Silk to save the day moments later at the other end.

Pilkington had Silk to thank for goal-line clearance
Hamshaw's corner picked out Boulding whose header was cleared off Pilkington's line by the full-back on the far post.

Parkinson came close once more on 37 minutes. His shot deflecting onto the roof of the net.

An un-marked Hunt headed just over form the resulting corner.

It was to be the last of the first half action as the sides trooped in at the interval with the game still deadlocked.

Half-Time 0-0

It was nearly the worst possible start for the Magpies after the re-start.

Tann hauled Boulding to the ground on the edge of the box. Bell's right footed shot luckily fell at a comfortable height for Pilkington in the Notts goal.

Referee Kettle later had no choice but to point to the spot and issue McCann a yellow card after pulling back Stags Boulding.

The striker stepped up and coolly dispatched straight down the middle to put the hosts in front on 57 minutes.


MacKenzie also talked his way into the book seconds after.

McParland was quick to react bringing on Myles Weston for Andy Parkinson down the right hand side of midfield on the hour.

It was two for Boulding and two for the home side on 62 minutes, as he thumped in past Pilkington following sloppy defending from so far County star man Hunt.

Boulding and Arnold celebrate opener

A mix up between him and Tann let energetic Brown in who squared to Boulding. The rest was routine. Pilko no chance.

The Magpies with a mountain to climb wit 28 minutes remaining.


The Stags continued to attack with Notts clearly rattled.

Ex-County man Dan Martin joined the book for a foul on Weston after 65 minutes.

Boulding intent on netting a third struck from distance with the defence allowing him yet more room.

Pilkington saved well with second half just after the half-way mark.

The bookings continued to come with Brown added to the referee's notepad, again for a late challenge on Weston.

Mansfield could have added a third fifteen minutes from time.

The chance again falling to Boulding. His glancing header inside the area just drifted past Pilkington's right-hand post, as the confident Stags continued to probe.

With the clock ticking, Notts tried to work their way back into the game with Weston receiving the ball wide on numerous occasions.

But playing down the right was proving a massive problem for the left footed player.

Notts made their second change on 82 minutes. Hector Sam replacing penalty culprit McCann.

Notts struggled in the midfield battle
Sam was straight in amongst the action winning the Magpies a free-kick 25 yards out after being hauled down by Buxton who has sharply shown yellow. The set-piece again produced no end product.

Pilkington was again called into action three minutes later.

Nathan Arnold cut in well sweeping past Silk. His right-footed drive from 20 yards was well held by Pilkington.

Sam went close late on to reducing County's deficit.

Mayo's long head forward was brought down by Dudfield. Sam with the ball at his feet curled marginally wide of Muggleton's upright two minutes before the full-time whistle.

Notts continued to push but to no avail with the Stags content on seeing the game to a close.

With the full-time whistle blown, Field Mill erupted as Town recorded their second victory of the season.


Mansfield 2-0 Notts