Notts' abysmal run at Adams Park continues

Last updated : 01 February 2003 By Rob Davies

Given Notts’ appalling record at Adams Park I should have been expecting nothing more than a drubbing today.

Notts were without Allsopp and Brough for this game but Richo

Holmes - Started his first Notts match for over a year
overcame a knee injury to take his place in the Magpies’ starting XI.

Richard Holmes also started the match. It was the first time he had begun a game since 26th December 2001 when Notts lost to Wrexham. After a shaky first few minutes he did well and should be given a go, at least while we are short of so many players.

The pitch looked brilliant and was free from snow and ice because of the undersoil heating which appeared to have worked well.

Notts started the match quite brightly and had a few chances to take the lead within the first 10 minutes, but none were converted or even seriously tested Frank Talia in the Wycombe goal. Not taking chances when they are presented to you is becoming something of an unwanted habit for Notts at the moment.

Heffernan went close early on with an effort from 6 yards but his shot was wide of Wanderer’s goal.

Richard Harris
Then, without previously having any shots on the Notts goal, Wycombe took the lead. After a defensive error by Craig Ireland, Richard Harris slotted the ball under Mildenhall.

Notts fans only had a few minutes to wakeup to the fact they were behind before Wycombe got another goal. Harris was on hand again to score from the edge of the area.

From then on I thought it might have turned into a damage limitation exercise – but it didn’t turn out to be that bad. By saying ‘it didn’t turn out to be that bad’ I mean Wanderers didn’t have many more clear cut chances in the first half, not that the standard of the Notts performance wasn't bad – it was pretty dreadful in most people’s books.

Pretty depressing for the notts fans
Having Wycombe fans chanting "Can we play you every week?" after just 17 minutes is pretty embarrassing to say the least.

During the rest of the first half Notts gave the travelling supporters very little to shout about.

Shortly before half time Danny Senda had an effort on goal but it flew wide of the post luckily for Notts.

The half time whistle was greeted with boos from the Notts following – even text messages informing me that Mansfield were losing didn’t do a lot to lift my spirits.


In the second half Notts seemed to create more scoring opportunities for themselves with Ian Baraclough’s attempt flying

Stuart Roberts - got Wycombe's third
over the crossbar. Baraclough was one of the better players on the pitch this afternoon.

But that still didn’t stop us conceding another one at the other end. Stuart Roberts fired a powerful shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the area despite having 2 Notts players around him and for the third time in 3 games at Adams Park, Notts were behind 3-0.

Notts did manage to salvage a small amount of pride with a goal from ex-chairboy, Mark Stallard, on 71 minutes. I don't think many people even found the enthusiasm to get up and cheer - I certainly didn't!

Before the end of the game Notts

Got a consolation goal for Notts
did have other chances to get goals. Caskey went close with a close range header then youngster Shaun Harrod had a shot that was turned away by Talia.


Wycombe had offered Kids-for-a-Quid on this game and said that if, by some miracle, Notts beat the Chairboys, the Wycombe kids would be able to claim their £1 back. I think the club was pretty safe on that one!

Notts have apparently got yet more injured players to add to their ever-increasing injury list, with Richo and then Heffernan being replaced. Heffernan picked up a dead leg but I’m not sure what Richardson has done yet.