Crewe derailed in late County fight back

Last updated : 05 February 2003 By Rob Davies

That is now 4 times in the last 9 games that Notts have turned a game around in the space of 45 minutes to get something out of a game.

Don’t get me wrong, its quite a feat to come back from a few goals down and it shows a lot of character and determination to do that kind of thing, but the truth is we shouldn’t get ourselves into that position in the first place.

In 3 of those 4 games Notts have let goals in within the first 5 minutes. That is quite a shocking statistic.

Last night was one of those 3 games where we have conceded so quickly after the first whistle. Only 65 seconds were on the watch

Steve Jones
before Notts conceded. Most fans had not even warmed their seats by that time and I’m pretty sure Billy hadn’t even emerged from the dressing room.

Notts failed to clear a corner and Steve Jones put the ball in the net from close range.

Notts were hypnotised by Crewe’s smooth passing and couldn’t really do a lot about it. When we finally managed to get the ball off the Railwaymen we gave it almost straight back to them.

It was no surprise at all when Crewe got their second 10 minutes later because they had spent that 13 minutes virtually camped in Notts’ half rarely letting the Magpies have the ball for any length of

Got Crewe's second

Crewe’s second goal had more than just a bit of class about it. It was the type of goal that you can’t really defend against. An excellent passing move involving Steve Jones and Kenny Lunt set the ball up perfectly for top scorer Rob Hulse to extend the Red’s lead to two.

Notts spent the rest of the first half defending more Crewe attacks and we only managed about 2 shots on the Crewe goal, both of which went wide.

Steve Mildenhall had another superb game for the Magpies, pulling off some superb saves to keep Crewe at bay.

Another superb game for Notts
He made an exceptional double save on 34 minutes, first from Rob Hulse and then diving low to his right to save a header – again from Hulse.

Towards the end of the half Notts picked up slightly and started to pass the ball around but didn’t create anymore chances.

The Magpies were booed off at half time but in my opinion we weren’t that bad if you take out the first 15-20 minutes considering the standard Crewe were playing at.

The Railwaymen certainly looked like a promotion chasing team and on that showing deserve to go back to Division one.


I don’t for the life of me know what Dearden says to the players at half time but I wish he said it at the start of the match and not half way through it when we are already 2 goals down.

Mildy had to be alert again shortly after the kick off when he denied Rodney Jack from taking Crewe’s tally to 3.

Magpies looked like a different side in the second half. We passed it around much better and created a lot more chances as a result.

Got Notts the penalty
Mark Stallard went close with a lob but visiting keeper Clayton Ince saved well and tipped it on to the bar.

County were awarded a penalty on 61 minutes after Richard Walker elbowed Stallard in the face. Despite protests from the Notts players and fans, Walker wasn’t even shown a card. After a long wait while Stallard received treatment for his injury, Caskey stepped up to take the spot kick and sent Ince the wrong way to spark County’s latest comeback.

It was totally opposite to the first half in the fact that Notts spent the first half defending while in the second Crewe were doing the defending and Notts the attacking.

Danny Allsopp who was brought on to replace the injured Simon Ramsden looked much better than he had done in recent weeks and his first shot was held by Clayton Ince.

Scored County's late equaliser
Efe Sodje cleared a Notts corner off the line as Notts searched for that vital goal.

It finally came in the 87th minute when Danny Allsopp rolled the ball under the keeper at into the net to get Notts a share of the points.

Lets just hope we don’t start as sloppily as that at Field Mill on Saturday because if we do we might not be so lucky in our fight back as we have been for the past few weeks.