Caskey and Heffernan Seal Win Vital for Notts

Last updated : 12 January 2002 By Paul Berry

Mark Stallard returned to the Notts line-up at Cambridge today and Gary Owers started the game at right-back.

Stallard was in the action early on as he hit the bar from a Caskey corner after 6 minutes. That turned out to be Notts best chance of the first-half.

Cambridge started to come in to the game as a dangerous Shane Tudor cross was headed wide by Tony Scully.

Mark Stallard
Stallard - Man of the Match

A few minutes later Marcel Cas swung a leg at Fred Murray. There was no contact and the Cambridge player was booked for making a dramatic dive.

The next chance fell to County but Michael Brough’s ambitious 25 yard shot flew over the bar. Shortly after Lionel Perez was forced to make a save from Bollard as Paul Riley fooled their defence with a quick throw-in.

Tudor was providing the main threat for Cambridge combining well down the right with the U’s strikers. But after 20 minutes it was a well-organised Notts side that were beginning to dominate as Cas forced Perez in to another save with a 20 yard strike.

Tudor put in another good cross on the half hour after a good move involving Chillingworth but the resulting chance was put wide for a goal-kick.

That was the cue for Cambridge to come back in to the game. Luke Guttridge’s 25 yard was blocked by Nick Fenton as the Cambridge wide-players started to exploit the lack of pace in the Magpies’ defence.

Cas was the saviour as Tudor put in another dangerous cross. Cas cleared at the last moment as Scully looked set to tap the ball in to the net. A few seconds later Tudor put a shot wide as the defence was caught flat-footed following a quick free-kick.

On 40 minutes a Cas shot hit the side netting with Heffernan free in the area following a great move involving Darren Caskey.

Alex Revell had a shot for the home side a couple minutes before half-time but he was unable to hit the target.

Half-Time 0-0

The second half began quietly as Notts fans wondered what effect Billy Dearden’s first half-time team talk would have on the team.

But it was Cambridge who began to dominate as they repeatedly probed the Magpie's defence.

Tudor again was the dangerman as he forced Mildenhall in to a double save after a good move by the Cambridge attack.

Two minutes later Paul Bolland was booked for ignoring the referee’s whistle after he fouled Shane Tudor.

Neither side seemed capable of breaking the stalemate but the U’s were looking more dangerous.

Heffernan made a great run showing electric pace after a pass by Stallard but he could not dig-out the final ball.

Cambridge replaced Armand One with Alex Revell as they pushed for the breakthrough goal.

On 63 minutes Paul Bolland went close when his snapshot missed the Cambridge goal by inches.

Paul Heffernan
Heffernan - Second Leage Goal
Stallard was looking full of ideas but Cambridge went close when two of their strikers failed to connect with a dangerous cross.

Another dangerous cross caught the Notts defence flat-footed as Cambridge began to dominate.

CASKEY SCORED against the run of play after 73 minutes beating Perez to his left after a good run and an accurate low shot.

Scully immediately replaced Youngs for Cambridge.

A minute later PAUL HEFFERNAN added a second beating two Cambridge defenders in the air after a cross by Notts best player Mark Stallard.

Shortly afterwards, man-of-the-match Stallard was substituted receiving a huge ovation from the 514 Notts fans.

The game drifted as a demoralised Cambridge never looked like equalising.

Luke Guttridge was booked on 90 minutes for unsporting behaviour after a foul on Paul Heffernan.

Notts made a late substitution with Kevin Nicholson replacing Paul Riley.

All-in-all an unconvincing performance by Notts but a vital win, only their second in 17 League games.