Bury 2-2 Notts County

Last updated : 31 October 2011 By Jacob Daniel

Notts County twice came from behind to take a point home from Bury after a game of penalties at Gigg Lane. Jeff Hughes held his nerve twice to cancel out goals from Bury's Andy Bishop and their only penalty, converted by former Mansfield man Giles Coke.

The Shakers started brightly and were ahead within five minutes, when a sweeping move down the left saw Joe Skarz pull the ball across the area, where it finally bobbled into the path of Andy Bishop who pivoted brilliantly before smashing the ball past Stuart Nelson. 

The hosts stayed on top for the next few minutes and should've doubled their lead through former Notts man Shaun Harrad. Peter Sweeney found space out wide and teased in a cross that Harrad inexplicably put wide when it seemed easier to score. Sweeney and Alan Sheehan had long range efforts for either side, before Notts were given the chance to level things up.

Phil Picken inexplicably failed to put the ball out of play in the corner and allowed Lee Hughes to burst free, the Notts striker poking the ball through Efe Sodje's legs before the Nigerian blocked him off. Jeff Hughes did the honours from the spot to draw the Magpies level, probably undeseverdly.

Notts started the second half brighter than they had the first, with Jeff Hughes volleying into the side netting from a corner, but once ahead they found themselves behind early on. The ball was crossed in from the right with Krystian Pearce needed to put in a strong challenge on Lenell John-Lewis. Somehow the referee spotted a handball in the melee and gave the penalty, with replays proving... inconclusive. Giles Coke smashed home the spot kick and Bury were back infront.

Steven Schumacher headed wide for the hosts before Notts began to creep back into things, with Trevor Carson having to be alert to keep out Lee Hughes before batting away two inswinging Sheehan corners. Pearce headed wide at the far post from another set piece, before the Magpies were allowed to level again. Neal Bishop latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and fired goalwards, with Sodje conceding another spot kick by blocking with his hands. Jeff Hughes' kick produced the same result and things were level. Notts came closest to winning it too, but Karl Hawley couldn't quite turn a Sheehan corner over the line in the dying embers of the game.