Gudjon slams Hurst

Last updated : 24 January 2006 By Rob Davies
Hurst left Meadow Lane at the beginning of this month to join League Two rivals Shrewsbury Town, after suffering an uneasy relationship with Thordarson.

The nine-goal marksman watched his new side lose 2-1 to the revitalised Magpies on Saturday, after a clause in his contract determining that he was unable to play in the fixture.

But Hurst (left) caused a stir with his pre-match comments to BBC Radio Nottingham, where he accused Thordarson of lying over a number of issues relating to his eventual departure.

But the County boss has bit-back today, citing an incident during the half-time interval at Wrexham as an example as to why the prolific striker's exit was justified.

"It's strange how all of a sudden players lose their memory," the charismatic Icelander told the official website.

"Maybe someone should give Glynn a call and ask him what took place at half time when we played Wrexham.

"Maybe he won't remember that. Maybe he needs his memory refreshing, but if he does we have plenty of players here who saw what took place that afternoon who can remind him.

"I think to sum it all up in the best way possible, there were not many tears shed when he left the dressing room."

Thordarson pulled no punches as he continued to fight his corner over the 29-year-old's abrupt exit, denying Hurst's claims that he never used foul and abusive language towards his manager.

"Glynn would not have been fined unless he had used foul and abusive language.

"He was also fined for his reaction to an incident.

"In fact, the swearing took place on more than one occasion as well as at Wrexham - and much more, which was shocking. He was replaced at half-time straight after the incident and in the end never played for us again.

"And if Hursty wants to go public with that, the best thing for him to do is to describe that (Wrexham incident) and take that forward.

"If he wants to take that path, it's up to him. I wait to see what he says in response to that."