The Irish stopper was out-of-contract in the summer and was said to have turned down the offer of a fresh two-year deal.
Despite interest from higher clubs, the 22-year-old remained at Meadow Lane over the summer in the hope of gaining compensation for the agile shot-stopper.
“They offered me a contract with a couple of games to go but there was no way I could sign it," Deeney told today's Sun newspaper.
“I had been on the same deal for four years and although they came up with a better weekly wage, everything else was cut.
“I’d have ended up with my worst contract since I was playing at youth level.
“But the stories which came out of the club were totally wrong. They were trying to cover themselves, and make it look like I was being greedy.
“I was hoping they’d show me a bit of respect, but I certainly didn’t get that. They said I was asking for loads of money but they were actually offering less than I’m on here.
“Even so, I never wanted to leave. I was No 1, I’d had a good season and wanted an even better one. I was basically forced out."
Despite basking in the adulation that has followed Burton's home draw with the Premiership giants, Deeney admits he is still pining for a move to a Football League club.
“I’m only on a month-to-month deal — and it’s actually up after the United game. I know I need to put myself in the shop window," he said.
“I’ve really enjoyed every minute at Burton, but realistically everyone here wants to play in the Football League.
“I know what it’s like to be knocked back, and I want to be looking forward again.
“I’ve had a raw deal and been described as a young lad who was being greedy, so I want to move forward again.”
As well as Deeney, former Notts striker Shaun Harrad is expected to line-up in opposition to Wayne Rooney and co. for Sunday afternoon's televised clash.