As one leaves...

Last updated : 31 January 2005 By Richard Brown

Mon 9th August 2004 – Due to injury to youngster Saul Deeney, and the falling from grace of Stephen Mildenhall, manager Gary Mills announces the signing of Premiership youngster, Wayne Henderson on a three-month long loan after just one match of the new season having passed.

Tues 10th August, Kidderminster Harriers vs. Notts County – On his debut for the club, Henderson is named man of the match, with a clean sheet to his name courtesy of a catalogue of outstanding saves to keep the game at 0-0. A certain sign of things to come from the young Irishman…

Henderson at Villa...
Sat 21st August,
Notts vs. Yeovil – Henderson is paraded in front of the Magpies home faithful for the first time since signing. In one of the more frustrating a match that Notts will encounter this season, Henderson stands out, despite Notts going down 2-1 at home.

Sat 11th September, Northampton vs. Notts – In a 0-0 draw at the Sixfields Stadium, it seemed only Henderson came out smelling of roses. Keeping his second clean sheet in all of four games, Henderson kept the Magpies game afloat with some more crucial saves, keeping the Cobblers at arms length throughout, claiming plaudits from fans, players and management staff alike that day.

Fri 17th September – Gary Mills reveals that Henderson had spoken of his desire to stay for the rest of the season, after his heroics at the Sixfields. Mills seems keen, as do the fans.

Fri 8th October – After being named in the ROI under-21 squad, Henderson turned out a good performance against a French side including Liverpool’s Sinama Pongolle. Shortly after the match, Henderson, promptly returned to England in time for the coming Sunday’s match…

Thurs 14th October – Wayne is recalled to the Villa after injury to first-choice ‘keeper, Thomas Sorenson.

Sat 16th October, Mansfield Town vs. Notts – Saul Deeney comes good, somehow keeping the deficit to just the two goals thanks to a succession of rebelliously spectacular saves. The day when my trust in Saul was assured whilst, somewhere in London, Henderson deputises on the bench for Villa at Highbury. Arsenal 3-1 Villa.

Thurs 1st December – Ian Richardson reveals the second-coming of ‘keeper Henderson, who agreed a loan deal until the end of the current campaign. However, with the form of one Saul Deeney continuing to soar, it was to prove difficult times for Henderson to reclaim his place…

< < Image courtesy of Notts County Official Site > >
...And the second coming.
Wed 15th December
, Notts vs. Swindon (FA Cup Round Two) – In front of the Sky cameras, Saul Deeney turns in another great performance after Henderson, still cup-tied by Villa, was frozen out in the cold. Such a seemingly petulant clause in an ‘end of season’ contract ultimately proved the ruin of his loan spell.

Wed 26th January ’05 – Henderson and Deeney, rivals now at club are called up for the ROI under-21 outfit for the early-February match against Portugal.

Friday 28th January – With interest assembling from Championship outfit, Brighton, Wayne took the conscious decision to terminate his loan contract with the Magpies in a bid to get back into first team football. However, due to ‘technicalities’, Wayne now finds himself out in the cold at Villa Park once more after his move to the Withdean fell through.