Torquay return to League Two

Last updated : 18 May 2009 By Jacob Daniel
The Magpies will be making the long trip South to Plainmoor to face Torquay United next season, after the Gulls defeated Cambridge United 2-0 at Wembley this afternoon. Both sides had been relegated from League Two in the five seasons that's Notts have been playing at this level, and both sides suffered heartache in the Blue Square Premier play-offs last season, in fact it is now two years in a row that Cambridge have been beaten at Wembley by a club from the South West, with Exeter City lifting the play-off trophy last May. Torquay also lost at Wembley last season, to Ebbsfleet United in the FA Trophy final, while four goals in fifteen minutes late on in their play-off semi final second leg saw them lose out on a trip to Wembley to local rivals Exeter City.Danny Crow

Five former Magpies were in the matchday squads, but of those only left back Kevin Nicholson will be celebrating this evening, with Danny Crow, Daryl McMahon, Dan Gleeson and Andy Parkinson all tasting defeat with Cambridge. The U's started brightly, with wingers Courtney Pitt and Robbie Willmott using the full width of the Wembley pitch and stretching Torquay, and Cambridge seemed the likeliest to open the scoring in the first half hour, however the opening goal came on 35 minutes against the run of play. A neat move saw the ball played inside by Wayne Carlisle into the path of Chris Hargreaves, and the 37 year-old swept the ball into the top corner past Adam Bartlett from the edge of the box to give the Gulls the lead going into half time.

The second half progressed in much the same way, with centre halves Chris Todd and Chris Robertson winning everything in the air and knocking back everything Cambridge could throw at them. The closest Cambridge came to getting an equaliser was when former Notts man Dan Gleeson smashed the ball across the six yard box, and a deflection took the ball onto the outside of the post. After Michael Poke saved smartly at the feat of Scott Rendell, Torquay broke and a sweeping crossfield ball set Elliot Benyon away. The former Bristol City forward got away from Phil Bolland, who hacked down the pacy striker, and with Bolland already having been booked for fouling Danny Stevens, the ref had no choice but to give him his marching orders. To compound Cambridge's misery, five minutes later an excellent cross by Wayne Carlisle was headed past Bartlett by Torquay's top scorer Tim Sills to seal a return to League Two for Torquay United.